Sunday, January 6, 2013

Electronic Dumping Grounds

At some point in most people's lives, there's inevitable realization of, "Where on earth did this come from?" or, "Why do I own six broken vegetable peelers?"  In my case, it seems to be that, along with historically having crappy vegetable peelers, I am regularly gifted unwanted televisions from friends.  I'm not huge into TV, so I just can't justify spending money on a nice one.  To me, a screen is a screen is a screen.  I realize that's not true.  I have spent time in front of nice TVs and I acknowledge there is a very real difference.  It's just not a difference that I care that much about, and so I am gifted TVs by those who upgrade with more regularity.


My initial Baltimore TV was a hand-me-down from my AmeriCorps roommate.  He had upgraded to a sexy flatscreen, and thus I inherited the 27-inch, junk-in-the-trunk beast that he had.  It had temperamental input plugs that had to be secured with masking tape, and they often came undone mid-movie so you had to scramble to pause and retape.  It was a bit of nuisance (friends would probably argue that it was more than a "bit"), but again, I just couldn't be bothered.  One friend in particular could take it no more, and I was gifted yet another Badonkalicious television.  It had a bigger, better screen, and most importantly, it had functioning inputs.

I rightfully retired the AmeriCorps hand-me-down, and found myself in the pesky predicament of having a TV I couldn't donate.  Goodwill, Village Thrift, and essentially all thrift stores/donation locations, no longer accept old school TVs.  The TV lived in a corner of my room for a few months, collecting dust and acting as an ad hoc corner table, until a friend asked me why I didn't take it to the dump.  Aghast, I exclaimed, "You can't throw out old TVs just like that!  Something something nature save the planet use reusable grocery bags and compost!" Lo and behold, Baltimore City has sanitation yards to help with this very predicament.  I recommend the one in Remington at 2840 Sisson Street.  With help, I loaded the voluptuous screen etc into my car, and left it in a nice heap of other discarded TVs to be recycled.

Now I find myself in this same situation all over again.  My cousin upgraded his television and graciously has given me his old one.  But I have this perfectly functional, curvy television, and no or need for two.  If anyone needs a television, let me know.  Otherwise, look for me at the Remington Sanitation Yard next Saturday!  If you're new to the city and find yourself with an excess of stuff you can't get rid of any other way, I recommend you also make your way there.

No comments:

Post a Comment